Monday, February 25, 2008

Oh, gross!

Gee, thanks for bringing this to our attention, DOB.

From today's Braves Blog:

Good luck, mate: Before I head down to the field, I’d like to say something about a sensitive subject.

Kangaroo testicles.

Now, before we go any further, I’d like to make it clear I neither condone the hunting or taxidermy of kangaroos or their body parts. Let’s get that straight. I can’t even fathom someone shooting one of those cute, goofy looking animals.

But for whatever reason, some are killed legally in Australia (you can look it up, but they laws that permit annual quotas and also allow farmers to kill kangaroos on their property, something like that. Like I said, complicated).

Anyway, back to the testicles. Apparently a pair of taxidermied kangaroo testicles is regarded as a good-luck charm by Aussies, like a rabbit’s foot (or like me rubbing my bust of Elvis that I bought one late night many years ago at a cheap gift shop on the Canada side of Niagara Falls).

So Braves reliever Phil Stockman, a good bloke if I’ve ever met one, gave starting pitchers Tim Hudson and Mike Hampton each a pair of kangaroo testicles on a key chain. And told them to rub them before each start.

Hudson’s “charm” was hanging in his locker last I checked.

That’s all. I really don’t need to add to this note, do I?
No, please don't.

No comments: