Saturday, March 22, 2008

So long, Javy


The Braves cut Javy today, and as a result, he decided to officially retire. I'm sad to see his bid end, but I'll be honest, I don't think he's as versatile or as defensively sound as the other backup catchers.

"I just want to thank the Braves for giving me this opportunity," said Lopez as he was driving back to Atlanta early Saturday evening. "Not every team would have even given me a chance. I knew I had to produce numbers offensively and defensively, and I didn't do it."

During an early afternoon conversation with Braves general manager Frank Wren, Lopez said he was happy to have the opportunity to retire as a Brave. Wren replied by telling the veteran catcher that the organization was proud to call him one of its own.

"He thinks of himself as a Brave, and I told him that's the way we feel about it too," Wren said. "We wish him well and want him to be a part of the organization for a long time, as far as feeling welcome to be around the ballclub as one of our former great players."

Full articles on the official website and in the AJC.

No comments: