Monday, June 2, 2008

I agree with Chipper.

One thing I will say about Chipper Jones, he doesn't hide his true feelings. In this situation, I applaud him for it...

By Carroll Rogers
June 1, 2008 7:49 PM Link to this

oh and before i go, thought i’d give chipper’s response when asked if the team should have some kind of closed-door meeting about this: “Getting mad doesn’t do anything. all that does is make people madder. Frustratrion level is at an all-time high. But fighting amongst ourselves and confronting people about their play is not the way to do it. it’s just going to make things worse.”
Those are wise words. There was also a recent quote from Teix regarding the same subject...
"The only thing I can say is that we can do a better job of doing the little things to win games," first baseman Mark Teixeira said. "There's 10 of them every game. We just need to play a little better on the road and better in these one-run games."
Everyone needs to step it up, just a little, and not get too frustrated with the road losses. It's getting into their heads, so maybe they need to take the patented Chuck James approach and just...not think about it. Literally, don't think about it.


Changing the subject, let's go back to the first link by Carroll. She offered a little insight to the "discussion" Baby had with Mr. Hairston during an at-bat late in yesterday's game. It never appeared to get heated, but it's extremely rare to see a catcher stand up and have a discussion with a batter in the middle of a game...
did want to tell you guys that mccann was once again showing fire today, which i believed some appreciated on the blog last night. the reason he and hairston got into it in the seventh inning, jawing at each other at the plate, is because according to both mccann and blanco, hairston got on blanco for bunting for a base hit when cueto had a no-hitter going.

blanco actually told me hairston said “we might hit you (with a pitch)” when he got to second base. so mccann was sticking up for blanco and rightly so. i know there are unwritten rules on these kinds of things but the braves were trying to win the game and bunts are part of blanco’s game. as mccann said “it’s not like i was up there trying to bunt.” now that would have been something! just thought i’d share that nugget.
First of all, HA ha! at Baby bunting. That would be the best. Second, way to stand up for Gregor, Baby. He's showing real leadership. A lot of people are trying to peg Jeff Francoeur as the face of the franchise, but I think Brian McCann is going to be a strong leader in the clubhouse for many years to come.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good post. I was wondering what that McCann/Hairston mess was all about.

CABravesFan said...

It is great to see Mac show some fire...I've read so much about how quiet and calm he is but he is really emerging into a leader of this team- I find myself constantly having to remember he is only 24-and thanking god that the braves were smart enough to lock him up for a while

Lauren T. said...

Agreed, CA. I was on vacation when they locked McCann's contract, and got a crazy excited text from a friend who was kind enough to tell me every word of news, several times. That's all I really remember about that vacation, ha ha.

Allee said...

Love this.
I heard what the exchange was about during the Braves Live postgame. I agree that B-Mac will be a leader on the team. He's like Bobby...not afraid to stand up for anybody on his team. But, I'm glad that the guys are taking this in stride. I know that it's hard for them...it's hard for me just watching them, but I'm glad they're just trying to get through it.