Monday, April 14, 2008

Get well, Tommy!


As Glavine walked through the clubhouse after Sunday's game, he said there was minimal pain. In order to feel the strain, he indicated that he had to stretch the leg longer than normal.

"I don't know what the heck that it was," Glavine said. "But it was different, and it grabbed. Like I said, hopefully it's not something that's going to get any worse and cost me too much time.

"It doesn't hurt. I can feel the grab and tightness. But it's not like it's a lot of pain or anything."

Source

My boy's never been on the disabled list, and it would be wonderful if he could retire with that record intact. But the most important thing is for the hammy to heal, and if he needs to take a little time off, so be it. *sigh*

I hope he has a good massage therapist. I'm nationally certified and have worked with professional athletes before (AHL hockey), and there are specific techniques used to speed up recovery so they can get back out there as soon as possible.

Good luck, Tom. Let's hope this was just a freak accident and not a long-term concern.


4pm 4.14.08 update:
"It's OK," Glavine wrote in a text message. "No worse. Just trying to move it around as much as I can."

...

Glavine is still moving forward with the idea that he won't miss his next scheduled start next Friday or Saturday against the Dodgers.

"In my mind," he said. "But I've never been through this before, and I'm a little stubborn."
Source

No comments: