Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thank you, Pete Van Wieren

Pete Van Wieren has decided to retire, after 33 years in broadcasting.

Much was said about Skip's contribution to the game, but Pete was the voice of the Braves for me. He seemed to know everything. I remember sitting in my car before going into my night classes in college, running a few minutes late for class just so I could hear Pete's Diamond Notes. Years earlier, when my own grandfather died, I remember imagining Pete's voice as my Grandpa T's when watching the TBS broadcasts. It was comforting, in a way.

He always appeared to be the ultimate professional. Enjoy your retirement, Professor. We loved having you here for so long, and you'll be greatly missed.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I can't help but think what a strange world this is now that Braves games aren't on TBS, there's no Skip Caray, and now no Pete Van Wieren. I'll always remember those good 'ol days, though...

CABravesFan said...

It's always sad to see the truly great broadcasters leave...for me it was always Chick Hearn doing Laker games and Vin Scully calling the Dodgers...Chick's been gone for a while now and I fear Vin will leave before long- they just don't make 'um like that anymore-and I suspect those of you lucky enough to grow up listening to him feel the same way about Pete:)

Anonymous said...

This makes me so sad! I couldn't believe it when I first heard. It's so hard to give up Skip AND Pete in such a short amount of time. Games will never be the same.

flbravesgirl said...

A sad year gets sadder. I'll miss Pete terribly.