Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Taking My Time" - the Braves Organist's CD


My friend the Braves Organist has a CD. You should buy it. :)

OK, there's more to it than that. It's actually a pretty good CD; I bought one for myself and one for my mom for Mother's Day. You all know I don't do advertisements here, and I wouldn't be endorsing this unless it was something I genuinely enjoyed and thought you would enjoy as well.

Let's be honest, jazz isn't usually my thing. To quote SATC:

Carrie: This might be a good time to tell you. I don't like jazz.
Ray: Why would you say something like that?
Carrie: You can't follow it and there's no melody. It's all over the place.
Ray: You've got to stop trying to make it be something else and appreciate it for what it is.
Well, Ray is right. Jazz is a truly unique art form and should be appreciated as such. So for the first four tracks of the album, I was thinking, "Okay, I could have this on in the background of a dinner party and it wouldn't bother anyone." To use a phrase of my dad's, it's not monotonous. At all, really.

The rest of the album is so good, I listened to it several times for fun. Shocker! I really, really enjoyed the last 2/3 of the album, and the CD is still in my car three weeks later. Since I'm more of an ADD radio what's-on-the-next-station person, that's kind of a big deal.

If you want to listen to a few of Matthew's songs before buying the CD, check out his YouTube channel. The CD is all instrumental and appropriate for all age groups. And frankly, $15 is a perfectly reasonable price for a CD that supports a local artist who entertains us for 81 home games a year.

You can buy "Taking My Time" at www.matthewkaminski.com, and don't forget to follow him on Twitter @bravesorganist. Thanks for making the Braves games more fun, Matthew!

No comments: