Sunday, September 19, 2010

Craig Kimbrel's first major league save!

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 19: Craig Kimbrel #46 of the Atlanta Braves celebrates the win with teammate Brian McCann #16 against the New York Mets at Citi Field on September 19, 2010 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)
Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann, left, celebrates with closing pitcher Craig Kimbrel, right, as New York Mets third base coach Chip Hale, background, leaves the field after the Braves swept the Mets to end their three-game series with a 6-3 victory in a baseball game at Citi Field in New York, Sunday, Sept. 19, 2010. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)
Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann, left, congratulates first baseman Derrek Lee, center, as they leave the field with closing pitcher Craig Kimbrel after defeating the New York Mets 6-3 for a three-game sweep of their baseball game series at Citi Field in New York, Sunday, Sept. 19, 2010. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Quotes from the closer in the AJC:
CRAIG KIMBREL

On getting his first save

“That was exciting. My heart was racing. Pretty cool.”

You didn’t look nervous

“Well, I was on the inside. At least I didn’t show it on the outside.”

Surprised you were called on, or did you know Wagner was getting a day off?

“I didn’t know. When they called my name I was like, OK, let’s go. Let’s get ready to go. I was already ready to go before I even threw a pitch.”

“Top of the ninth, they called down and said, you’ve got it. Just like that, I was ready. It was very cool.”

Good to get it in that setting?

“Yeah, we’re in the hunt, winning three games in a row here, which is huge for us. Just being put in that situation down the stretch was awesome.”

On striking out Beltran looking to start 9th

“It always makes it easier when you get the first batter. Once I got the first batter out of the way I was like, OK. I took a deep breath.

“After that last strikeout it felt good. I’ve been working for it for a long time and finally got it.”
You've definitely got it, Craig. ;) I don't know about the rest of Braves fans, but I'm not very worried about Wagner retiring. We have our young guns Kimbrel and Venters -- we'll be fine!

Congratulations to Craig on his first of many!

4 comments:

flbravesgirl said...

Congrats, Craig! It was impressive. (Anyone else have the urge to call him "Kimmie"?)

Maybe we could have Wags on retainer to do a little part-time coaching/counseling for the bullpen babies.

Alison W. said...

@flybravesgirl: I DO call him Kimmie. His tag on my blog is "Kimmie." :)

And I'm not so much worried about Wags retiring and leaving us after this season as I am just sad that he's leaving because he's so awesome... :(

CABravesFan said...

*sigh...How cute is Mac's smile? ;) (OK, OK- I know this is a post about Kimmie...Congrats kid! You looked GREAT last night! I, too, feel like we are going to be just fine with Jonny & Kimmie at the back of the pen next year. There- is that enough about non-Mac? :D )

Lauren T. said...

I'm so proud of your restraint, CA. :D